Tuesday, April 11, 2017
I then started to paint the rocks and roof of the barn. I used ultramarine + raw sienna with much more blue. One thing I want to point out. The M. Graham brand of paint has a different color version of raw sienna than Winsor Newton. It is darker and not so light yellow. I get a whole different color than those that have mixed ult. blue with the Winsor Newton brand raw sienna. Some students who used it got a green color and that's not right. It should be a blueish gray color. I just put that in very haphazard and blending out the bottom with water. I put it on the roof very roughly and then touched in some winsor red a bit. This is where I stopped for now.
Then I worked on the barn. I used the same color as the base color of the rocks for the front of the barn which is ultramarine and M. Graham's raw sienna. You can drop in a little raw sienna in places too to vary up the color. When it started to dry slightly I dragged the back of my thumbnail and scraped it to look like barn siding. The left side of the barn I used the same color but I added a stronger bit of raw sienna to make it look more golden.
Now I added some darks. The trees behind the barn I used M. Graham's Hookers Green mixed with ultramarine blue and some burnt sienna. I loosely painted them in and went down near the flag, adding water to soften. I also put a little raw sienna into that along the outer edges too to vary the color and make it look a little more sun struck. I used this same green to do the trees on the left but watered it down and also added winsor yellow to some of the leaves. All this is done very loosely with scribbly strokes. Holding the brush away from the ferrel helps. I also added this green to the grasses along the barn, adding strokes of raw sienna also. When this dried slightly, I added the darker green around as you can see in the photo. I also added darks for the front opening doorway of the barn and the left side of the trees using ultramarine + winsor red + burnt sienna. It creates a deep violet. The barn opening I painted using this violet halfway down and then throwing in a strong mix of raw sienna. I also added this violet along the roof edges as a shadow and in the windows.
Here is a little closer up of the rocks and grasses. I started adding the darker sides of the rocks with a flat brush with ultramarine blue + winsor red + raw sienna. That's the 2nd value of dark on the rocks. Then a deeper value was added by adding burnt sienna to that mix I used for the 2nd value. I laid in some sap green over some of them also to look a little mossy. I added the greens and violets on my palette to put in the forground grasses and front grass. I really just mushed everything together. A very technical term! Feel free to drop in different colors here and have fun....but don't go overboard! I also did some spattering but that's not visible in this photo. You can go back up to the top picture to see the finished painting.
Thursday, December 1, 2016
Some of the rose petals are warmer and some cooler. The warmer ones I mixed the quin rose with winsor yellow. The other cooler areas I used just quin. rose and/or opera rose.
The black label is with neutral tint (black) and it is darker towards the top and I added quin. rose to the bottom portion with more water and lighter.
The green label is sap green. I added winsor yellow in the middle portion and neutral tint (black) in the outer areas along the side. I painted the label straight out and then later when dry, lifted out highlights. After lifting out the highlights, when it dried, I gave it a glaze of thalo blue.