Thursday, April 24, 2014
LAST LAYER - (don't forget to let each layer dry before doing the next one) I used the same green, only I introduced neutral tint to it. I wanted the seed to look more black, but the black was too strong so I mixed the green into it to soften it down. It seemed to do the trick. Again, I tried to paint with a little texture, showing a little of the background I used before....it should be subtle changes in color, not too obvious. Subtle is good! Some areas I painted a little stronger than others. The upper left seems a little darker so I used stronger color there. I painted over the bird seed I drew in to glaze it and make it recede a little, but here I diluted my black mixture a bit so as not to completely lose the seed shapes altogether. I kept using the black mix all the way through, except I did keep putting a little cobalt into the right and if it needs a little browner touch towards the bottom, you can add more raw sienna, cadmium, or burnt sienna charged into the black.....however you see it. Just don't make the black mix so heavy towards the bottom. We are going to add more when it dries.
Now that it's all dry, I used that same black mix and dappled some little seeds on the bottom because the smaller seeds fall to the bottom of the feeder and it is evident in the photo. There are some lighter seeds in there too....you can dapple some raw sienna in there too. That has to dry, and then I added highlights by scrubbing out vertical lines with water and blotting. Remember subtle is good here.