I completed the painting of the female Cardinal. The tail colors I used were alizarin and ultramarine blue as the initial wash. Make sure you make it more on the red side. When that dries, glaze over the tail with the same two colors, only now it is more on the blue side. The thing to watch is how you glaze over the initial wash. You are going to avoid painting near the edges and the middle where the redder wash is visible.
Next paint the little side wings. I used maroon perylene and ultramarine in a watered down wash. The same technique used for the tail is used for the wing tips. After that wash dries make it a little bluer and paint the areas you see darker.