Tuesday, October 8, 2013
I started painting the red flowers with some cadmium red lt. and some alizarin mixed together. I added some violet (cobalt and alizarin) shadows on the flowers on the left....just slightly. Next I painted the yellow flowers with some winsor yellow (or cadmium yellow lt.) then some gamboge. It needed to be a little more orange on the left side so I added some cad. red lt. to the winsor yellow. Next I painted the green leaves on the left in the back. I used cobalt blue and winsor yellow....making sure to vary the greens (warmer and cooler) adding a little more yellow in some and more blue in others. I painted the foliage in the clay pots. Also some cooler and some warmer. The foliage in the 4 pots in the front were painted in one continuous manner connecting each one. The I painted the large pot. Using burnt sienna, cobalt blue and alizarin and making the left side a little darker. The inside of the pot I used burnt sienna and cobalt blue. The clay pots in the front are next. I alternated their colors so as not to make them all look the same and the sun was hitting them all a little differently.....some cooler, some warmer. I used yellow ochre, alizarin, cobalt and burnt sienna. Some pots I used more alizarin (but watered down), some I mixed all the colors together and some I added cobalt for shadow. Next I painted the bricks with a diluted wash of alizaring and burnt sienna. When the bricks dried I painted the shadows under the pots with cobalt, alizarin and a little touch of burnt sienna. It's a light wash so I didn't go heavy on the color. When that dried, I added a darker shadow of the same colors and blended it out with water so there wasn't any hard edge.
For the rock wall, I painted all the rocks first. Some with burnt sienna, some with a mix of burnt sienna and cobalt, adding alizarin at times also and then adding a raw sienna glaze on some. I sprinkled salt on some of the rocks while still wet and scrubbed some to add a slight highlight. After they dried I glazed cobalt blue with alizarin and a little burnt sienna mixed in over the ones on the left to put them in shadow. On the right side I used the side of my brush to skip around and not define the rocks too much with a watered down version of that mix. After all that dried I did glaze a bit of raw sienna over the rocks also. I didn't want all of the rocks to look the same....that's too boring for me. Variation is very important in painting.....when things look all the same, the viewer gets bored.....and so do I frankly! I ended up spattering some color around....and then painted the lion and water. I used the same colors for the lion that I did for the rocks and the water also has some of the violets that the rocks have.
Oh, I added the lion by making a stencil of it's head and the water and scrubbing it out.....that simple!