Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"BAG OF APPLES"


We are doing this painting in the beginner class, although I had my doubts as to whether this was a beginner painting!  There are three challenging aspects to this painting.  The bag is one, the shadow is another and then the apples are the third.  The upper background is a good size to try to master.....it's not too large of an area, so I felt it was good for a beginner and not too difficult.  

Unfortunately, I only took one progress picture......I forgot to take anymore!  Sorry, when I get engrossed in a painting I can also get absent minded.    Anyway....let's start with the background.  I used Thalo blue, winsor yellow and burnt sienna.  I made the mix a little more yellow on the left and more blue on the right.  I didn't want the background to be all one color.  I painted it wet on dry and I slightly blurred the edge between the table and the background on the left by adding a little water along the painted edge after I painted it.  Be careful not to add too much water or you'll get a bloom!                                                                                                      



Next I started on the bag.  I just used plain 'ol yellow ochre in a very light wash to cover the bag and leaving the parts that remain white.  I added permanent rose while wet in the what I felt were the pinker areas.  This is reflected light from the apples through the bag or against the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment