I'm here to help you paint, sell my work or just talk watercolor!
Monday, April 7, 2014
Female Cardinal Painting
Starting a cardinal painting. I liked this picture because of the lighting. I will post the photo so you can see it. The background is painted wet in wet. I used a very concentrated mix of maroon perylene and ultramarine blue. I also used ultramarine while continuing down the picture. Then adding the dark into it. I used raw sienna in the lower left corner and then spattered the picture with it and with the dark. I spattered a little towards the top with the maroon very diluted. When that dried I started working on the bird. I started wet in wet everything above the perch. I put yellow ochre lightly throughout the bird and very lightly near the belly where it's lighter. Pay particular attention to leave a little white space on the top of her head....that will give a nice backlit effect. I used some burnt sienna to put the sienna tones in the upper breast area. While it's all still wet I also added cadmium red within the sienna a little and adding it to the tip of the head and around the eye. I mixed sap green and a little cad red together and worked that into the head area. The deep violet mix that I used for the background, I also used for the dark around the beak area. I also used it for the dot of the eye.
I dried everything and then reworked those same colors over again, keeping the breast area the original wash color and trying not to go into it too much. I did use a little wash of azo yellow or winsor yellow around the breast area to brighten it up a bit. More later.
I changed the background to include more texture and not make it quite so dark.